FORUMS: list search recent posts

Interlacing with Maya when compositing in After Effects

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Turner
Interlacing with Maya when compositing in After Effects
on Mar 6, 2013 at 11:56:53 pm

I'm working in 1080i for airing in the U.S. Will be compositing Maya animated characters into After Effects. My question is how do I work out interlacing with Maya?

The way I understand it if I interlace the footage in Maya AE will try to reinterpret it as progressive. Then if I need to reposition section in AE it'll get re-interlaced when output. There'd likely be all sorts of messy interlace issues.

If I DON'T interlace the footage in Maya then it'll come in progressive in AE, but then how will AE know an element has a lot of motion in it if the element is just footage that doesn't move with a position keyframe?

My understanding is if you create a shape in AE and click the position keyframe, then move it in the time line AE know's how to properly interlace that. But if it is animated footage that doesn't move in an X or Y axis it isn't going to be interlaced.

Am I missing the mark here somewhere?

--
Gary Turner
Creative Services - Media Sales
Oceanic Time Warner Cable
Honolulu, HI 96813

Return to posts index

Colby Fulton
Re: Interlacing with Maya when compositing in After Effects
on Mar 19, 2013 at 4:14:31 am

My advice is to render as single frames as iff format, then import the sequence into after effects. Once it's in afx you can render as a interlaced movie.

Despite the specs sometimes requiring it, no TV station actually needs interlaced files, they just think they do as most cable boxes output default as 59.94i. Interlacing is a limitation of older analog Tvs, and digital files should be progressive until the last possible moment. Think about feature films on TV... Would film makers shoot their movies in interlaced? No. Garbage in, garbage out. Try and work clean as clean as possible and avoid the cancer of interlaced footage. Let the tv stations take your perfect progressive files and degrade them at the last possible moment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]