FORUMS: list search recent posts

3D Texture Question (materials look "patchy"?)

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Hybiak
3D Texture Question (materials look "patchy"?)
on Mar 5, 2013 at 5:24:52 am

Hello again,

I have a question relating to 3D textures. For example, the wood texture. When applied to a shader, the result is always a texture that looks "patchy". Like, there are multiple blocks of wood textures facing different directions sewn together.

I've attached a screenshot showing what I'm getting at.

Any advice? Sorry if there is a blatantly obvious solution, still learning texturing on my own and with whatever references I can find. Thanks guys. (Btw, I completely understand that the 3D wood texture isn't great, but wanted to try and add a subtle bump map with it, just give it a try.)

- Dan

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: 3D Texture Question (materials look "patchy"?)
on Mar 5, 2013 at 10:45:34 pm

Hi Daniel.

3D textures will always repeat after a certain distance in X, Y, and Z. It's just their nature as procedurally-generated patterns.

You're right that it's extra apparent in the wood texture, which is by design. It's not possible to have an object of any size made of a single block of wood; large objects have to be constructed out of smaller boards.

If you want there to be fewer repetitions of wood or any other 3d textures, you can increase the scale of the texture (use your Scale tool on the place3dTexture node in your scene). There are other methods, too, depending on the texture, but this works for all of them.

Of course when you increase the overall scale of the texture you may find that you no longer have enough detail in it... you'll have to try to add detail or find a balance between the two.

Hope that helps.

Return to posts index

Daniel Hybiak
on Mar 6, 2013 at 9:29:09 pm

I see, but it seems like there should be a way to maintain detail even when scaling, especially given that the texture is procedurally generates in the first place.

Thanks for the info. :)

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Mar 7, 2013 at 8:06:04 pm

Each texture does have its own way of adding finer detail. The wood texture, as you've already acknowledged, isn't exactly the most sophisticated or useful example. Anything you texture with it will look like it sprung from a bad 80s music video. ;)

That said, you could increase the number of rings arbitrarily high, which is the main type of 'detail' in that texture. For other textures, like Solid Fractal or Volume Noise, you can usually increase the number of layers of procedural patterns that are overlaid to create the final texture.

Look for attributes like 'octaves,' 'depth' and so on.

Hope that helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]