FORUMS: list search recent posts

black areas in UV editor with texture in vray material

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rebecca Poch
black areas in UV editor with texture in vray material
on Feb 20, 2013 at 2:43:01 pm

I am new to Maya and to 3D in general. I am using Maya 2012 with vray.

The problem is that sometimes when I create a new vray material for an object, add a texture, and then open the UV editor to set up the UV on the texture, the background image in the UV editor becomes a mixture of the texture and some maya-imposed black areas that I did not create and are not supposed to be there. Once the black appears, I cannot seem to correct the texture image so that only the texture (without black) shows. When the black shows, this also affects the color of the newly-made vray material that I put on the object, causing the object to become black instead of the default gray or the texture (it's like something is connected or deleted).

I don't know if it is related but I get an error about how this vray material is not supported. The funny thing is that assigning new materials could be working fine and then all of a sudden this happens. It doesn't matter if I leave maya and restart it because the black areas can still be there when I restart. Also, the black often shows up in subsequent materials when viewed in the UV editor. I often have to assign a new vray material and then try putting on a new texture; sometimes it works, sometimes not. Sometimes I have to assign the object as the original lambert1 and then assign a new material.

Does anyone know what the problem is? and how to fix it?
Thanks, Rebecca

Return to posts index

Madhav Sutar
Re: black areas in UV editor with texture in vray material
on Mar 9, 2013 at 7:14:06 pm

Hello!

Did you find the solution? Cause I am also suffering from the same problem. Please let me know if there is anything.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Rebecca Poch
on Mar 9, 2013 at 9:54:18 pm

Hi Madhav!
I didn't really find a solution.
Someone told me that it is a Maya bug and that I can try to select a different option under textures in the UV editor. It doesn't always get rid of the black within Maya but I don't know if it affects the render because I started having unrelated render problems.
Can you try this and then render and let me know?
or if someone else has a solution to this problem and can help us that would be great.
Thanks,
Rebecca

Return to posts index

Rick Falck
on Dec 20, 2015 at 9:14:03 pm
Last Edited By Rick Falck on Dec 20, 2015 at 9:25:11 pm

Bump. I experience this too. changing material opacity seems to reset UV editor window, but as soon as you select the object again it breaks. Its like it creates an alpha mask in the uv editor around the objects UVs. Makes it impossible to effectively UV edit w a vray material.

**I think i found it.. need to check on "UV texture editor baking" in the 'image' menu in the uv texture editor.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]