FORUMS: list search recent posts

PolyEditing: Cut + Seperate + Fill Holes + New Material

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shane Newville
PolyEditing: Cut + Seperate + Fill Holes + New Material
on Feb 15, 2013 at 4:47:37 am

Does anyone know how to cut a geometry with the cut tool (or something else) and have it automatically seperate each side of the slice and fill the holes with face, possibly even with a new material to apply to all faces inside the cuts.

I know it is possible to, in a more random way, using a fractal plugin in 3DS Max where it creates separate objects and allows cut materials. And there is a fractal tool in Blender that does this as well, but it does not hold up with more complex geometry (crashes).

I just want to do the same thing but instead of random cracks, I want to manually cut straight through.

ShaneNewville.com

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: PolyEditing: Cut + Seperate + Fill Holes + New Material
on Mar 1, 2013 at 9:02:12 pm

Hi, Shane.

I don't think there's a one-step tool that does what you're looking for.

A fairly simple approach would be to duplicate your object, and put a cube overlapping one 'half' of it. Dupe that cube too. Now, between one cube and one copy of your object, do a Boolean 'subtraction', and between the other cube and the other copy of your object, do a Boolean 'intersection'. You should end up with the two closed poly surfaces you want.

Hope that helps.

Return to posts index

Shane Newville
on Mar 1, 2013 at 9:24:08 pm

That's what I was already attempting to do. Unfortunately, Maya's Boolean tool is not stable enough to handle complex geometry. Anything more than primitive objects and it starts to freak out. My model is still pretty low poly but since Maya is not able to make the calculation it just gives up and everything just disappears. It's not just my version or machine either. I'm running 2012. My colleague is running 2013. He told me this has always been a problem in Maya as long as he's used it. So we are left with having use the cut tool, duplicate the object, delete opposite sides of the cut on each copy, then manually filling the holes. 3DS Max also struggles to succeed with Boolean. XSI actually can do it, but it messed up the material and uv mapping. I have actually had the best luck with Blender. It gives me great results, but it many attempts cause it to crash depending on where how complicated the cut is. I am just looking for an easier solution to this. It was taking more time than it was worth so had to leave this idea behind for the current project. But I am still interested in finding another way if there is one yet.

ShaneNewville.com

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Mar 1, 2013 at 10:50:16 pm

Ah, yeah, if the geo is complex, the Boolean operators do often run into problems. Modeling has never really been Maya's strength!

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]