FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't convert Polygon to Subdivisions

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alec iselin
Can't convert Polygon to Subdivisions
on Feb 10, 2013 at 9:02:45 am

I can't go any further with this character without converting him to subdivisions, but Maya refuses to let me do that. I've tried everything i can possibly think of. I've set the max faces and max edges as high as they'll go. I've made sure all the polys are quads and that the model is all cleaned up. Every time I use the cleanup function, it comes up empty. So I dunno what to do.

I'll upload the project, and I guess it's worth mentioning, he used to have a cape that was essentially just a plane extruding from his back shoulders and elbow. I thought it might be the problem so I deleted it. But I've made sure all of the polys got cleaned up the in whatever ways they needed to. I hope someone can figure this one out.

5420_alec0105.mb.zip

Return to posts index

Ben van Hamelen
Re: Can't convert Polygon to Subdivisions
on Feb 11, 2013 at 9:50:46 am

I looked into it and couldn't get it fixed. It's a problem I've had a while back as well, never was able to get around it. That said, I did find a small geometry issue on the beak. Nothing big; just a double edge. Do a cleanup (selection mode instead of auto-fixing) in wireframe mode and you'll see what I mean.

http://www.fireinthesole.com/

Return to posts index

Stuart Christensen
on Feb 11, 2013 at 10:18:02 pm

Not quite sure what you mean by "subdivisons" but for what it's worth, I imported the model into a blank new scene and from the Edit Mesh menu - Add Divisions - options - I created more divisions for the mesh, not sure if that's what you need. There's also a handy little app for returning models to base level:

Maybe this helps maybe not?

Return to posts index

alec iselin
on Feb 13, 2013 at 8:57:16 am

Well I got it working; I think it was a problem with two of the polys on his index finger where I had used the bridge tool. I guess it's better to use fill hole, cause the geometry gets confused and makes weird creased looking edges when you bridge.

And Stuart, converting polygons to a subdivision mesh is different than just adding divisions. generally you only add divisions in order to sculpt a basic shape. When you want to get refined details you use convert polygons to subdiv.

Thanks for the help guys.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]