FORUMS: list search recent posts

I need more resolution on faces...

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lee Wit
I need more resolution on faces...
on Feb 3, 2013 at 8:06:21 pm

Hi there,

The following is slightly beveled mesh imported from Illustrator. This is for a concept of two dancers that will eventually look like made out of water splashes.

I have a problem adding more resolution to the front faces. I need the resolution in order to use the Sculpt Geometry tool to give some wave effects imitating water surface.

I tried Interactive Split Tool but it often fails to add. Simply the edge disappears after I press Enter due to some complexity in the mesh.

Also I tried Add Divisions tool but it causes a lot of chaos on the surface and I can't get it to make an even pattern of squares or triangles.

Any solution to divide the face evenly into smaller similar-sized faces?

Thanks,

Return to posts index

Ben van Hamelen
Re: I need more resolution on faces...
on Feb 5, 2013 at 11:00:31 am

For this particular purpose, I suggest you look into displacement maps. Gets you the wavy effect without sculpting and usually takes away the need to add more subdivisions. Downside is that it's fairly expensive at render time.

http://www.fireinthesole.com/

Return to posts index

Lee Wit
on Feb 6, 2013 at 9:59:00 am

Thanks! I didn't know about this before.

I enjoyed trying the quick effects of the Displacement Map although I ended up doing the project in Photoshop because to use it I had to draw the waves in Photoshop anyways!

Now I have a (may be dumb) question: If I want to use the same effects for imitating an ocean, can I animate the waves?

Return to posts index

Ben van Hamelen
on Feb 6, 2013 at 12:57:26 pm

You could, but you'd probably have to animate your displacement map somehow. Do take a testrender of a single frame to make sure render time doesn't go through the roof.

http://www.fireinthesole.com/

Return to posts index

Lee Wit
on Feb 18, 2013 at 7:37:35 pm

LOL.. actually I was asking about animating waves for another project, but I found a better solution Dynamics.

However, I did the still image job in Photoshop.

Thanks for your replies!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]