FORUMS: list search recent posts

What's the best model format I can export from 3ds Max to Maya?

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lee Wit
What's the best model format I can export from 3ds Max to Maya?
on Jan 27, 2013 at 11:45:46 am

Hi experts,

I want to render a still shot for a press advertisement in Maya.

I found out that most of the free models online are for 3ds Max. So I decided to download quite a few, export them from 3ds Max and import them into Maya.

I need to know what's the best format to which I can export the models from 3ds Max so Maya can open them with as less damage as possible and as more editability as possible.

Also I would appreciate any feed on how much possible it is to apply different materials to geometries imported from 3ds Max.

I know I could try it all by myself but thought I would most probably miss important things only Maya experts can spot.

If there is no real solution, I would have to redesign Maya basic structure in 3ds Max and continue from there. But as I'm learning Maya I prefer otherwise.

Hope you can help.

Thanks,

Lee

Return to posts index

Ben van Hamelen
Re: What's the best model format I can export from 3ds Max to Maya?
on Jan 28, 2013 at 8:25:31 am

Hi Lee,

Go with FBX. If I remember correctly, Autodesk owns that format. So it should translate to Maya pretty well. If not, go for OBJ.

I'm not sure what you mean by this, so I can't quite help you with that one: "Also I would appreciate any feed on how much possible it is to apply different materials to geometries imported from 3ds Max."

Cheers,

Ben van H.

http://www.fireinthesole.com/

Return to posts index

Lee Wit
on Jan 29, 2013 at 9:23:01 pm

Thank you Ben.

Yes it does work the way you said. And I realized that 3ds Max simply "sends" the scene to Maya! I have done that and got all my design in Maya.

After I finished I had another problem with rendering. I will post a question about it. Hope to see you there :)

Thanks again,
Lee

Return to posts index

James Trent
on Feb 3, 2013 at 2:55:19 am

Generally exporting as a FBX should carry just about everything nicely over to Maya, it has been awhile since I used 3ds max but it might use a different default coordinate system and/or scale system, in that case after you import into Maya simply scale and rotate it to correct direction, and it should be just fine.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]