FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating a curved background plane

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven Probets
Creating a curved background plane
on Jan 19, 2013 at 11:43:27 am

Hi,

I have a animated logo effect I want to create in Maya. I am thinking that for the background I would need a curved rectangle to get some shadows. I saw a tutorial where shapes were created and the background was a white sloped rectangle and this is the effectsI want - but cannot find the tutorial at all.

Can anyone help me on the best way to set this scene up?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Ben van Hamelen
Re: Creating a curved background plane
on Jan 22, 2013 at 10:38:35 am

I'm not entirely sure if this is what you mean, but how about just creating a rectangular plane to your liking and applying a bend deformer to it?

http://www.fireinthesole.com/

Return to posts index

Steven Probets
on Jan 23, 2013 at 1:07:25 pm

This sounds like what I need - I have not come across it before. Thanks

Return to posts index

Steven Probets
on Jan 24, 2013 at 4:12:39 pm

Hi Ben,

I have been playing with the bend tool but I haven't really achieved the shape I want.

I am pretty sure this is the right direction. Have you got any tips?

This is the shape I want:

Return to posts index

Ben van Hamelen
on Jan 24, 2013 at 4:37:37 pm

Alright, quick tutorial:

1) Make a plane. Make sure it has enough subdivisions on the axis you want to bend over. Let's say 20 subdivisions.
2) With the plane selected, add the Bend deformer. As soon as it's created, you should have a line selected. This represents the axis over which the plane will bend. Align it with your plane the way you want it. In this case, it should be either a 90 degree turn over the X or Z axis.
3) Go into the deformer's attributes and set curvature to a random value, high enough for you to see a clear bend.
4) You'll notice it bends in two directions, like a U, whereas we want it in one direction, like in your sketch. To fix this, set either low bound or high bound to 0 (probably low bound). Now we're getting somewhere.
5) If you don't want it to be over the entire axis, you can select the previously mentioned line and scale it down. This will make the bend a bit sharper. You'll see what I mean when you try it.

That should get the effect you're looking for. I edited your sketch to illustrate points 1, 2 and 4: http://i.imgur.com/Ti1YIxP.jpg

And as always, play with the settings to see what they do.

Good luck,

Ben van H.

P.S.: I should write a book.

http://www.fireinthesole.com/

Return to posts index

Steven Probets
on Jan 24, 2013 at 8:17:54 pm

Thanks Ben :o) You certainly should write a book! (I'd buy it).

I am a very basic user and am trying to get really stuck so thanks a lot for the guidence. I did spend a couple of hours playing with the settings but it just wasn't working.

Saved me a good couple of days of messing around.

Steven

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]