I have a fairly simple scene (maya 2011) with several particle emitters spitting out 30,000 or so nParticles between them.
I have created a small cube and assigned a shader to it and I want to instance it to all of my particles. However, no matter what I do, I can't get them to appear in the viewport or the render.
I have tried (without success):
- playing with the shader opacity in the nParticleShape node.
- changing the particle render type in the nParticleShape node.
- reducing the number of particles.
- creating a brand new emitter and nParticle system.
- creating new instance geometry.
- exporting the emitter and importing it to a new scene.
Whats odd is that this was working in earlier scenes. If i go back to them, it doesn't work anymore!
If i create a brand new scene, new emitter, particle system, cube etc, then it works fine (but that doesn't help..).
In addition, I find that if I try to instance the cube (or any other geo) to a second particle system in the scene, it doesn't work, and the Instancer (Geometry Replacement) section in the nParticleShape node is still greyed out, even though the instancer object has been created ok.
Can't find much on this online anywhere..
Is it my scene? A limitation in the number of particles you can instance? Am i missing something obvious and stupid??