FORUMS: list search recent posts

Issues Rotating Along One Axis (Screenshot Attached)

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lillian Young
Issues Rotating Along One Axis (Screenshot Attached)
on Dec 27, 2012 at 1:19:49 am

I believe the screenshot explains it better than I can.

The object is parented to a group. I am rotating the group with the objects attached, then attempting to rotate an object independently. But when I do, the rotation direction/axis (as seen in the screenshot) will not allow me to rotate it directly backwards (on the Z axis) 90 degrees. Its rotation axis is the same as the group's.

I tried to therefore unparent it - no avail. I tried to group it to itself, chage from world, to local, etc. Nope.

I saw other issues like this in my search of the site, but they were dated and not applicable I don't think because I didn't see a solution that works in my case.

Thanks in advance.

Video/Motion Graphics Editor

Return to posts index

Stuart Christensen
Re: Issues Rotating Along One Axis (Screenshot Attached)
on Jan 2, 2013 at 10:14:42 pm

Hello Lillian, The object you want to rotate should not be parented to the group, rather, you should try parenting the object you want to rotate to some piece of the geometry in the actual group. Perhaps try parenting the object to a spoke of the wheel or the actual wheel, but not to the entire group. The parented object will then be able to have some independent control, but remember that it will also be influenced by the overall direction of the group that it is attached to. Hope that helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]