FORUMS: list search recent posts

I have poly shape outlines rendering on my overlapping polys

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julie Aravantinos
I have poly shape outlines rendering on my overlapping polys
on Nov 20, 2012 at 11:39:12 am

Hi,

Im working in Maya 2012 and Im rendering a model that was created in Solidworks. the importing of the file in to maya was absolutely fine - I didn't change any of the model from nurbs to polys - I can work with them as nurbs no problem.

I needed to change a panel on this model and imported another solid works file to do this. I also left this as nurbs and simply removed the panel I needed to change (hid it in a layer) and put the new panel I imported in its place.

Then I rendered it, in mental ray, and applied mia material x to the entire model. In previous renders everything was 100% fine. But when I changed the panel to the new one, the surface would render correctly but its also rendering the outline (or shape) of the models behind the panel - which in this case are cylinders (with no caps might I add, which is why I assume its rendering an outline...)
- please see the attached image:

panel-render.png

Id like to also add - I went through the usual check lists - I made sure both panels had the same attributes, materials and lighting applied. I even checked and unchecked the attributes of the material in mental ray but still no resolution. Do you have any ideas as to why this might be happening?? Please help?!

Return to posts index

Julie Aravantinos
Re: I have poly shape outlines rendering on my overlapping polys
on Nov 21, 2012 at 2:15:49 pm

Well, I found a solution but not sure its a correct work flow - I simply duplicated the panel, three times, and set these up one behind the other and that completely removed any of the visual outline of the polys from behind the panel.

Which leads me to believe there is some sort of default transparency on the mia materials?...or not enough refractions of light happening causing a transparency?? Any feedback welcome....thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]