FORUMS: list search recent posts

probably silly image sequence mapping question

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Xav VonL
probably silly image sequence mapping question
on Oct 9, 2012 at 12:21:03 am

Hi everyone ! I'm relatively new to Maya and here I'm stuck with maybe an obvious and common issue so excuse me if this has been covered already (I'm pretty sure it must have been somehow somewhere).

My case is a little bit trickier than what I'm going to explain but I'll try to break it down to the very principle of my problem.

What I want to get :

Let's say you have 100 frame-long image sequence mapped onto a plane in a 300-frame long animation. I'd like the texture to show a stillframe of the first frame from 001 to 100 then play the sequence normally and then again a stillframe of the last image from 201 to the end.    

What I do actually get so far :  

I managed to get my sequence playing at the right moment using the frame offset attribute but instead of having an in and out stillframe (like I do have in my OpenGL viewport, by the way), I have a black render    

What I think I've understood :  

I get that maya loads sequence textures on a -  file*.frameExtension=frame  - basis which is then offset by the frame offset attribute. So at frame 50 with a frame offfset set to -100 it's basically looking at a frame labeled filename.-050.extension  that doesn't exist and therefore renders a plain black texture, allright....  From this on, I suppose there must be a way to handle the stillframe effetct I'm looking for by using conditions with if's, else's and so on but I'm not enough of a script guy to put this together (well, not yet :) )...... on the other hand, I can't help but think that there must be an easier way out of this......... or maybe not ?

Return to posts index

Ben van Hamelen
Re: probably silly image sequence mapping question
on Oct 9, 2012 at 12:11:40 pm

There is probably a way to do this in Maya, but I would personally go for the easiest way:

Bring your sequence into After Effects, stretch the still frames to your liking and render out a new sequence. That way, you shouldn't have to work with offsets at all.

Or did I misunderstand your problem?

http://www.fireinthesole.com/

Return to posts index

Xav VonL
Re: probably silly image sequence mapping question
on Oct 10, 2012 at 12:11:32 am

That was actually the first cheatful workaround that came to my mind as well but the problem is that not only isbn't it a clean method,my main concern is that i have a LOT of planes hwith different sequences and a long animation so would it would result in a huge amount of "useless" frames

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]