FORUMS: list search recent posts

how can i create the globe (i have included an image to better ask my question)

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
King Law
how can i create the globe (i have included an image to better ask my question)
on Sep 19, 2012 at 10:49:01 pm

im trying to create the globe (a sphere with the world map wrapped around it) han i do that i have included an image to support my question thank u!! by the way i already know how to create the actual sphere with the wire like look to it i just wanna know how i can put the world map on it

Return to posts index

James Miller
Re: how can i create the globe (i have included an image to better ask my question)
on Sep 20, 2012 at 6:59:21 pm

Probably the easiest way would be to make your metal sphere, then create another sphere the same size, parent it to the first and lay a texture file on that and use alpha - add displace maps to the image to get the perception of depth or failing that a bump map for real depth.

J

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't the sport for you.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: how can i create the globe (i have included an image to better ask my question)
on Sep 24, 2012 at 4:23:56 am

James tip would be same for me but add this:
Take a NURBS sphere and set the isoparms to same amount as what you see on that ref pic.
Select the isoparms and duplicate curves.
Use them as paths for extruded ellipse circles to create the globe frame.

Return to posts index

King Law
on Sep 24, 2012 at 5:42:40 am

thank u guys for ur help,i have already created the globe my problem is attaching the metal the world map on it , i have some illustrator paths of the world map and some images as well i judt dont know how to wrap it around the globe !! let me know what u think !!
again thanks

Kinglaw

Return to posts index

James Miller
on Sep 24, 2012 at 10:11:39 am

Make a sphere the same size and wrap your texture around it. Make sure you plug in the alpha and then you should have what you're asking for.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't the sport for you.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Sep 24, 2012 at 3:24:38 pm

If you must keep it as a mesh then you need to deform it.
The best way to deform it accurately is to make sure the whole mesh is about the same size as the sphere un-wrapped.
If not, then you will need to mess around with the deform and shape at the same time.
Not fun IMHO :P

Return to posts index

Otto Lindqvist
on Sep 25, 2012 at 8:23:00 am

How if you map world texture to the sphere and then show it in viewport and draw outlines of continents? Then you can delete extra faces, redraw geometry if needed and then extrude it. That way I could have done that

If it's not moving, animate it

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Sep 25, 2012 at 3:25:42 pm

that sounds too painful of a workflow (drawing on live surface).
you can easily have vector version of the map and use a spherical deform.
again make sure the map is same as the ones that get wrapped around spheres.

Return to posts index

King Law
on Sep 25, 2012 at 10:20:40 pm

thank you thats exactly how ive done it :-)

Return to posts index

King Law
on Sep 25, 2012 at 12:07:16 pm

Guys thank you very much i maged to wrap the world map onto a poly sphere :-). i imported illustrator paths(of the world map) into maya,Extrude them create a poly cube combined the cube and the extruded mesh then applied some deformers. check out the attached file
globe_done.jpg

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]