FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to prevent penetrating in nDynamics

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Otto Lindqvist
How to prevent penetrating in nDynamics
on Sep 18, 2012 at 7:31:07 pm

Hello,

How do I prevent nCloth objects going inside of each others? I have this simulation where is like 45 bricks on top of each other like a brick wall. Now when simulating, those bricks starts to go inside each others starting from the bottom. A bit of that problem was fixed when I moved every piece a bit up from their previous positions because then they were just cutted out from one piece.

Also, how to create as hard as possible objects in nMesh? These should be bricks or metal pieces so they shouldnt bend or anything

If it's not moving, animate it

Return to posts index

James Miller
Re: How to prevent penetrating in nDynamics
on Sep 20, 2012 at 6:53:01 pm

Well the resistance in nDynamics is the tessellation factor, so generally if I'm using a fluid or something and it's appearing through the geo. I ramp the tessellation factor up for that geo. Are they just falling through each other, or colliding, but not enough?

J

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't the sport for you.

Return to posts index

Otto Lindqvist
on Sep 20, 2012 at 7:38:39 pm

They are colliding but not enought. After all they all end inside each others. They should stack up on each others like bricks do. Now I have all the pieces 6 sided. Should I add geometry to them so they hold the shape better and stack up better?

Return to posts index

James Miller
on Sep 20, 2012 at 8:07:17 pm

Ok, well you could make this using passive colliders or particles pretty easily, either way you need to make sure that you turn self collide on (particles) or create passive colliders. Once you have that you click on each brick and adjust the tessellation or in the case of particles, adjust the hardness. If you have no joy do you want to ping me a copy of the scene and I'll have a butchers?

Return to posts index

Otto Lindqvist
on Sep 20, 2012 at 8:15:57 pm

Sure thing if you are interested to look into this.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3561316/Jaakaapin_ovi_simulaatio_001.mb

Few bottom rows are going inside each others. Vertices shouldnt be top of each others because I moved the blocks just slightly up.

Thanks!

Good signature btw! Cant stop smiling at it

Return to posts index

James Miller
on Sep 24, 2012 at 10:21:48 am

Hey there,

sorry it took a minute, I had to install 2013 for your file. Your problem is mostly that you don't have self collide turned on. nClothShape>Collisions>Self Collide. You might want to bump up the thickness as well. I gave this a quick go and it seemed to do what you want. A little bit of crossover still however. You can probably deal with this by adjusting the thickness. How come you are using nCloth for this simulation? You are probably going to run into more problems as you are using a cloth simulation to create a rigid body essentially. As a result you have to go and change the properties for each and every brick which can suck, but don't get me wrong you can achieve what you want all the same, it's just not that effective. After you have nailed this, try the same thing with some lighter engines and see what you think.

Cheers

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Sep 24, 2012 at 7:54:04 pm

I haven't looked at the scene, but is each brick a separate cloth object?! If you're simulating a brick wall, I would use nCloth instead of rigid bodies, but I would combine all the bricks into one poly object before converting it to cloth. Then check 'Use poly shells' and 'Self collide' and crank up the rigidity and deform resistance to make it behave like a collection of separate bricks.

Return to posts index

Otto Lindqvist
on Sep 24, 2012 at 8:17:38 pm

Yes, each brick is separate object. I havent heard that kind of approach before. i must test that sometime soon. I havent tested the other way either.

I have one modeling thing going on for school course. They use max so no help there for me. I asked if I can do mine with Maya.

Thanks. I'll tell the results when I've tested. Feel free to download my project file. it's quite basic scene.

Return to posts index

Otto Lindqvist
on Sep 25, 2012 at 8:48:36 am

I made some tests with both techniques you told me. The best result was combination of both. I needed to add thickness of 2 to have that penetrating going off while combining all into one piece made life more easy to manage. Thanks for the replies, this helped me a lot!

Simulation is a bit slow tho, but I can live with it because results are looking very good.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]