Ah, now that's something I can work with. Here are some possible fixes:
1) I didn't even know you could bridge along a spline, but it makes sense. Anyway, it looks like the curve you drew is sticking into your meshes. You should position the start and end of the curves just right before the start and end faces.
2) Another common issue is bridging with more than 2 edges selected. It gives me problems all the time. Not this particular problem though. You could select 2 edges at a time, bridge (with or without curves), skip the next 2 edges, take the 2 edges after that, bridge again, etc. When you're done, you should have a whole load of holes in your mesh. Fill hole and if necessary, split your polygons until you have nice looking geometry again. Why skip them? Because if you bridge next to another bridge, Maya won't always merge your vertices properly, which will give significant problems down the road. Try it the wrong way and smooth your mesh. You'll see what I mean. Unless you have that one flawless copy of Maya, but I doubt it.
3) Do the whole thing manually. Extrude the edges and merge the vertices on the other end. I usually go for this option, because it's easier to spend two minutes doing it by hand than spending 10 minutes trying to fix a buggy Maya tool.
4) Not a fix, but a test: start a brand new scene, create the same 2 objects (do not import them, make them from scratch) and try bridging again. If the geometry is clean and you still have the same problem, then you're dealing with a buggy tool. If the geometry is clean and it's fixed, then your previous model probably wasn't done properly.
Wow, that became quite a story. Well, either way, I'm sure one of these fixes should do it for you. I'd try 1 and 3 first. Let me know if it worked.
Well, the curve was built by Maya, not much I can do on that end.
BUT, I found a solution, it was so crazy, I made the bridge with no divisions, then I added them, hilariously this caused a bunch of invisible faces, but after re-adding the default Lambert, problem seems to be solved. a strange workaround, but it allowed me to keep the handy bridge curve!
Thanks again for taking the time to give me some help.