FORUMS: list search recent posts

Process of creating effects in a movie?

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Serra
Process of creating effects in a movie?
on Aug 28, 2012 at 6:09:16 am

Hi all! I've been trying to learn Maya at the moment. On top of that, I know how to use Premiere and After Effects. Everything is pretty much being self-taught so i'm definitely not "in the know." heh. Just wanted to ask what the best process of creating effects in a film were.

Is it best to shoot the film, do the effects in After Effects, do touches on Premiere, and THEN add animation through Maya? Or do I create the animations and then edit add them in while the film is being rendered in AE?

Just kind of confused on how the overall process goes in the grand scheme of things. Also, while i'm posting, are there any other(or better) programs recommended? Thanks all!

Return to posts index

Adam Benson
Re: Process of creating effects in a movie?
on Aug 28, 2012 at 7:33:03 pm

Hello Ken,
I'll try to make a long story short. Generally, you'll shoot all of your footage, and then do an assembly edit in, in this case, premiere. Then, when you've got the footage you know you're going to use, then you start doing your effects on only those edited shots. You'll want to break up each shot individually for your 3D and compositing. If you're adding 3D/CG elements from Maya then you'll want to start doing them next. Once you've got your 3D rendered out. Then you'd take it into your compositing package, in your case, AfterEffects. That's where you put all of your effects pieces together. Once that's done, you bring it back into Premiere where you'll do your final editing.
Hope that helps.

Adam Benson
Visual Effects Artist/Musician/Sound Engineer/Editor
http://www.SleepDeprivedProductions.com
http://www.SleepDeprivedFilms.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]