FORUMS: list search recent posts

edit(randomize) CV control vetex position using texture nodes??

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Xiaohan Lu
edit(randomize) CV control vetex position using texture nodes??
on Aug 26, 2012 at 4:50:12 pm

basically i'm trying to create a forest of trees, each has slightly different shapes. and part of the tree trunk has this helix shape. so what i did was to draw the cv curve, create a poly cylinder and select both extruding them. i can move the control vetices to edit the shape of the trunk.

however, if i want to have hundreds or thousands of trees in different shapes, it's gonna be painful to duplicate everything and move the vetex positions by hand each time. i'm thinking about using nodes such as brownian texture nodes to randomize the control vertex positions.

i've been experimenting with haypershade in the last few days but didn't get anywhere. i tried the SOuP plug-in. but it required to rebuild the curve every time i wanted to edit a new curve. i don't know how to plug changes/nodes into the CV components. please help me. thank you!!

Return to posts index

keith mcgregor
Re: edit(randomize) CV control vetex position using texture nodes??
on Aug 28, 2012 at 7:03:24 pm

Not sure that would work as the hypershade deals with materials and not cv's. Another way to do it is to use paint fx and change the seed number. Maybe? (Maya is not really a forest creator) and if you can, get by with matte paintings?
Or you could get vue, which is an environment generator and would do this easier and better, and is used on countless movies and commercials.
-Keith

Return to posts index

Hanny Lu
Re: edit(randomize) CV control vetex position using texture nodes??
on Sep 1, 2012 at 8:58:13 pm

thanks keith!

yea, hypershade is dealing with materials. but i feel like there should be some way to map texture node's 3d position to the ones of curve points. such as the ramp used in lots of ways. but i'll look into paintfx. just checked vue, it has this replicate with variation menu. very useful.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]