FORUMS: list search recent posts

fluid texture swimming

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joshua Kerr
fluid texture swimming
on Aug 21, 2012 at 2:57:37 pm

Hi All,

I'm still coming across the phenomena of texture swimming on fluids. I'm trying a large smoke simulation and the density seems to move through the texture without the texture changing much. Does anyone have a solution for this. I have tries changing the grid method but the smoke moves too fast for this to be a viable option. I instead end up with texture warping with this option.

Any thoughts?

Kind Regards

Click to view my video production company or visit our company facebook page .

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: fluid texture swimming
on Aug 21, 2012 at 7:01:23 pm

There's no perfect solution to this; it's always a trade-off between warping and swimming.

In many cases the solution is to NOT use textures at all, and rely on high-res fluid sims for the detail you need.

You can sometimes get away with it if:
* The fluid isn't moving too quickly or too slowly
* The fluid has an overall 'average' direction to its motion
* You key the texture origin and time so that it moves approximately with the 'average' motion of the fluid sim, evolving quickly enough that the sliding pattern isn't recognizable.

Unfortunately there are lots of cases where those criteria don't apply...

Return to posts index

Joshua Kerr
Re: fluid texture swimming
on Aug 21, 2012 at 7:59:07 pm

Thank you so much for this reply.

Shame Maya fluids isn't as sophisticated in this department as some software packages I've seen. Would you recommend using fluids over say FumeFX or anything else perhaps. I'm pretty adept now at getting the motion I want but usually at the expense of the textures especially when creating explosions and other high pressure smoke sims I'm looking for the best of both worlds if you know what I mean.

regards

Click to view my video production companyStray Fox for our video services .

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]