FORUMS: list search recent posts

pulldownit bending metal?

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Pomorski
pulldownit bending metal?
on Aug 3, 2012 at 2:11:30 am

OK, so I've installed the pulldownit plugin for Maya 2012, and I've noticed that it's great with simulating the destruction of things like concrete and glass - but what about metal?

I can get a decent wood breakage, concrete breakage, and glass breakage, but PDI doesn't seem to have the functionality to simulate a bending material. I've used DMM, which is able to simulate bending (it can even make a mesh into a cartoonish rubber mess), but I prefer Pulldownit's ease-of-use, adjustability, and blazing speed. I don't think it's easily possible to make the two work together.

I am new to 3D, so I don't know the best way to go about this. I would like to know if there's a way to simulate bending with PDI, or if there's a way to do it with Maya's built-in tools.

Return to posts index

keith mcgregor
Re: pulldownit bending metal?
on Aug 8, 2012 at 8:13:47 pm

I don't know pulldownit but Maya has deformers that could do what you are asking. In the animation menu, F2, there is a Create Deformers menu. If you open it and go to non-linear you will see bend. Or if you want you could use a lattice, found in the same place. With bend or lattice you will have to parent it to your geometry so it doesn't move out of the deformation. Then you will start to like animating objects through a a lattice or moving a deformer around an object. The amount of polygons will determine if it a smooth or rough bend/deformation. All attributes should be animatable.Plenty of tuts on mayas deformers.
Have fun!
-Keith

Reality? What did you make it?

Return to posts index

Alex Pomorski
on Aug 8, 2012 at 9:17:47 pm

On another thread, they suggested nCloth, and DMM. They said bendage could be done with those, then if I want it to interact with Pulldownit physics, I could bake the bending into a poly object, then go from there. An imperfect solution, so hopefully Pulldownit eventually includes bending materials!

Return to posts index

keith mcgregor
on Aug 9, 2012 at 4:05:16 pm

I suppose it could work but you're talking about using a cloth sim against a regular deformer. The deformer gives real-time control and response, and the cloth sim needs to solve. It's just extra time and processing power. I would go for the deformer, but that's just me.
-Keith

Reality? What did you make it?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]