FORUMS: list search recent posts

DMM texture issue

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Pomorski
DMM texture issue
on Jul 31, 2012 at 10:21:15 am

OS & Software: Windows 7 64-bit, Maya 2012
Hardware: Maximus IV, GTX580 SLI, i7 2700k, water cooling etc.

I made passive DMM floor/walls, then a polygon table and hammer, then converted those to DMM objects. I tweaked the table's DMM material attributes in shaded view until I liked the way it looked, then added a Maya substance for the wood. Since mental ray doesn't seem to like substance textures, I batch rendered with Maya software, and this is what I got:

My question is: what's causing the texture issues?
My first guess was that since I added the wood substance after making the DMM object, maybe the tessellation that DMM adds stretched the texture out on the table's splinters. I removed then re-added the texture, with no change in the final render. My other guess is that it may be something to do with the render settings, since there's some weirdness going on with the hammer's shadows as well. I'm new to 3D modeling/animating, so I would be grateful if anyone out there can recognize what's going on here and give me a few tips.

Return to posts index

keith mcgregor
Re: DMM texture issue
on Aug 9, 2012 at 8:20:29 pm

Howdee again,
Not familiar with DMM and how it works but if you post your render settings from the render globals then maybe I can help. It does look like a texture issue or maybe sampling/contrast settings.

Are they 3d textures? Then they might need to be parented to their respective objects or maybe replaced completely since the objects move in all directions and there's no way to bind it to all pieces at once.
Are you using raytraced shadows?
-Keith

Reality? What did you make it?

Return to posts index

Alex Pomorski
Re: DMM texture issue
on Aug 14, 2012 at 1:00:44 am

They aren't using 3D textures, they're using something new to Maya 2012 called "substances" which are 2D. I am using raytraced shadows. I tried going in and re-rendering the scene, but something strange is happening: the hammer now goes right through the table, and it's an incredibly chunky and slow render. I quickly tested a scene from scratch (just a dmm ball hitting a dmm passive floor then shattering), and DMM still works. Baffling.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]