FORUMS: list search recent posts

displacement edge tearing

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joshua Kerr
displacement edge tearing
on Jul 14, 2012 at 11:16:17 am

I've been working on a scene of a space station so much of the model has quite hard edges which have a slight bevel. Im up to the point of texturing but am having some problems adding a displacement map to faces without having the edges tear apart at the seams. Im not trying to add a map to the whole model just to certain faces.

I've read many threads with people having the same problem mainly when rendering with mental ray but no clear fix has been mentioned, only work around situations which aren't as effective. Has anyone encountered this problem and do you have any advice for how to fix it. Even tips on how best to utilise these kind of maps without getting into trouble would be appreciated.

Click to view my video production company or visit our company facebook page.

Return to posts index

keith mcgregor
Re: displacement edge tearing
on Jul 24, 2012 at 6:55:48 pm

If it's tearing you might try lowering the color gain or a higher res map. Have you tried the mental ray approximation editor? I have used that with really good results and fine details. Otherwise trying to convert displacement to polygons with the delete original unchecked to see if it does it correctly sometimes works fine, just make sure to have enough polys at the place of displacement by inserting edge loops, or maybe increase tessellation on the shape tab.
Hope this helps!
-Keith

ps- please post screenshots to further illustrate your problem and to help us help you better.

Reality? What did you make it?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]