FORUMS: list search recent posts

How can I convert parametric models created in CAD apps into poly models for maya?

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Dorsey
How can I convert parametric models created in CAD apps into poly models for maya?
on Jul 13, 2012 at 5:07:49 pm

I often create animations for technology companies, and they give me models that were created in programs like alias, rhino, AutoCAD, or solid works. They export for me in IGES, or STEP, and the models, while amazingly intricate, are too much for Maya on my 24GB RAM 12-core machine to take. They take upwards of 20 minutes just to open.
I want to convert these to ploys and generally make them easier to work with. What are my options for making these manageable, and still look good when they render. The flat edges and services are fairly easy to convert, it’s the rounded bevels that don’t look so good if I convert everything to Polys all at once. And there are usually hundreds of curved surfaces to convert, so doing them one at a time is far too cumbersome to be effective.
Also, how would I go about taking surfaces for objects in joining them together to create a complete object made of Polys? For example, a small part may be made of 35 difference parametric surfaces in solid works, and exports as that in IGES, so when I imported into Maya, it really should be just one object made of Polys.
Anyone else out there have any experience in this area? I’m looking for any good answers. I appreciate all responses.
tl;dr: need to convert parametric cad objects to poly to make them manageable and to make renders faster. Looking for options.

Return to posts index

keith mcgregor
Re: How can I convert parametric models created in CAD apps into poly models for maya?
on Jul 24, 2012 at 7:02:50 pm

See if this helps:
http://www.npowersoftware.com/Maya/MayaPToverview.htm
Otherwise what I am finding is that Max works better for architectural and design than Maya.
Hope this helps!
-Keith

Reality? What did you make it?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]