FORUMS: list search recent posts

Paint Skin Weights problem

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dean chapman
Paint Skin Weights problem
on Jul 1, 2012 at 1:19:09 am

I am running into annoying problems while using the Paint Skin Weights Tool.

Whenever i want to get rid of weight for some geometry, I usually select a bunch of vertices with the lasso tool, then select each bone that i don't want it to be influenced by; and i hit the Flood button, with Replace selected & Value=0.

That usually works....
But witht the model i'm working on now, everytime i run through this workflow, it seems that the weights just keep coming back to the areas that i thought i cleared. It's as if it resets or something.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dean

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: Paint Skin Weights problem
on Jul 5, 2012 at 2:58:07 pm

Try reading up on Normalize Weights mode and Smooth skin weight normalization in the docs. That might be the cause of the problem.

Return to posts index

Erin Magnet
on Jul 5, 2012 at 5:04:30 pm

When I was reading about skin weights, I remember that the recommendation was to always add weight, never subtract because the influence has to add up to 100%. If you set a vertex with weight attached to it to zero, the weight assigned to that point previously now has to be transferred elsewhere, randomly, and not where you specify for it to go.

I am learning this myself so I could be wrong.

Return to posts index

Greg Koronowicz
on Sep 9, 2014 at 7:22:16 pm

That sounds plausible. I kept deleting weights from the bottom of my dinosaur. I would go to one hip, delete the weights, go to hip number 2, clean up and delete weights then go back to hip 1 and the weights kept coming back. I was going crazy!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]