FORUMS: list search recent posts

How can I import a referenced model?

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Roper
How can I import a referenced model?
on Jun 5, 2012 at 10:49:58 pm

Hello.

I have a scene with some references in it (ie. I have A.ma with B.ma and C.ma brought in as referenced models). Is there a way I can tell Maya to 'forget' the link it has for B.ma and C.ma, so I can pull them apart and edit them directly in scene A, with no relation to the original B.ma and C.ma?

Or, put another way, can I "unreference" something I've brought in as a reference, so it loses its link to the original model?

In an ideal world, I would also like to be able to do this without making Maya crash. A tall order I know, but I'm really pissed off at this lousy software with its built-in autocrash feature.

- Paul

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: How can I import a referenced model?
on Jun 14, 2012 at 1:56:49 pm

The answer to the first part is 'yes.' You can use your Reference Editor to import the references, which incorporates them directly into the scene. Right click on the reference in the list, and choose File > Import objects from reference.

As an interesting point, you can use the reverse process, as well: you can export selected objects, and choose the 'Keep only a reference' option in your Export Selection menu to keep the objects in your scene, but as a reference linked to the exported file.

As for not crashing... well... you might want to take that up with Autodesk. And good luck to you with that! :

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]