FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video Imported to Maya with Alpha

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven Probets
Video Imported to Maya with Alpha
on May 15, 2012 at 4:47:32 pm

Hi All! I was wondering if it possible to import a video into Maya - for inclusion on the screen of a 3D iPad. The video will have an alpha background, will Maya recognise this alpha channel and render with it (so effectively you can see through the iPad).

Return to posts index

Ben van Hamelen
Re: Video Imported to Maya with Alpha
on May 16, 2012 at 8:50:05 am

I made a small test setup with a png sequence with an alpha channel, which is basically the same. It worked flawlessly. I used mental ray, put the sequence in the colour channel of a simple lambert and assigned it to a plane and hit render with default settings. No problem.

Maybe Maya will struggle with actual movie files. If that's the case, re-render them as a png sequence and you should be good to go.

http://www.fireinthesole.com/

Return to posts index

Steven Probets
on May 21, 2012 at 9:19:12 am

Thanks Ben, although the client doesn't really need this now I am going to give it a whirl as I reckon you could get some great effects with video with alpha channels in 3D space.

Return to posts index

keith mcgregor
on Jul 26, 2012 at 5:25:30 pm

Yes, but isn't it usually done in a comping program? I have run into weird problems using image sequences and alphas, sometimes maya doesn't fully recognize the alpha. Take the camera from the .ma file, import it, and use it as matchmoving info for the screen and comp it so you have more control, instead of baking it in the maya render, if you need reflections use the image as a reflection map. Should be easy as pie.
-Keith

Reality? What did you make it?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]