FORUMS: list search recent posts

STEP Files and Maya 2013

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven Probets
STEP Files and Maya 2013
on Apr 27, 2012 at 5:16:29 pm

I have a STEP CAD file and I have imported it into Maya. I have no experience of importing CAD into Maya and I have basic understanding of Maya.

I need to take components of the model and move them out and then animate them so they come together and create the end model (like a reverse explosion). If I can work out how to deal with STEP files in Maya this should not be too difficult? It is a pretty simple model.

Any advice would be great on using STEP files in Maya - I cannot find anything on the internet. For example how do I detach the components? do I have to extrude faces to be realistic thicknesses? is this possible?

After this I have shade and texture them. I have some experience of this. Are the same techniques used for STEP files? as they are in polygon 3D?

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: STEP Files and Maya 2013
on Apr 29, 2012 at 4:25:16 pm

STEP is new to me, is it like the old DXF?
If it is you can detach faces and hopefully avoid rebuilding.

Return to posts index

Steven Probets
on May 1, 2012 at 4:18:44 pm

Hi, thans for your help. I figured they come up as NURBS.

I have - successfully - seperated parts. My big problem is shading and texturing NURBS - any pointers? IU ahve never done this before and hoppe to get some presets to help. Any ideas on good tutorials for shading NURBS and importing materials/shaders for them? Thanks

Return to posts index

Ben van Hamelen
on May 2, 2012 at 10:23:08 am

I have quite some experience in importing and editing IGES files into Maya, which are somewhat similar. I've found that it's just a hassle, regardless of how you work. It's usually very heavy on the system. So I convert them to polys using MoI (Moment of Inspiration: http://moi3d.com/), a very simple yet effective tool. The site offers a free trial. Do note, however, that the conversion will not result in clean topology. N-gons _everywhere_. But this is rarely visible in your renders. You can export the converted file as .fbx for example, bring it into Maya and do your texturing.

That's my preferred way of working. But this won't help you a bit if you need/want to stick to STEP files. Also, I wouldn't recommend using MoI if you're going to make a full UV map. But other than that.. ;)

Hope this helped.

Ben van H.

http://www.fireinthesole.com/

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on May 3, 2012 at 2:53:10 pm

My experience with trying to bring in outside data has been horrible.
Ive worked with OBS, IGES, DXF, DWG and FBX plus more.
Now of course FBX is newer so you expect it to be cleaner but not always :(

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]