FORUMS: list search recent posts

creating a glass phone

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Victor Nguyen
creating a glass phone
on Apr 24, 2012 at 6:33:15 am

I'm trying to create a glass phone exactly like the one in this video

I'm really new to Maya and I'm just wondering if I'm doing this right. I just use mia material and use the thick glass preset. Then I put production rendering in mental ray with global illumination and photons on. Then I turn on the image base lighting.

I also want to put images on the glass phone too but don't know how.

Return to posts index

Stephen Grimm
Re: creating a glass phone
on May 18, 2012 at 8:26:17 pm

I assume you're talking about the iphone-like phone they interact with.
The one they use for the video appears to just be a piece of glass or plastic in the shape of an iphone. Then they just tracked and projected the video onto the phone. It would be much more difficult to have them picking up a 3D phone and interact with it.

If you're just interested in making something that looks like it, the mia material preset you mention is a good place to start. You may want to play with the Max Distance in Advanced Refraction. That will give inner most part of the glass some color, like the one in the example. You really only need the photons for GI, or if you want caustics to show through the glass. And if you do want photons, make sure you have a light(s) in your scene that has photon emission turned on, as well as caustics turned on in your Render Settings.

For putting images on the phone, I would make a new render layer and assign a texture with your image to the screen area and no texture to the rest. Then mix the image layer onto the phone in AE or nuke.

-SG

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: creating a glass phone
on Jun 8, 2012 at 5:56:13 am

Most of that mom phone to pad shot could also be tracked and comped in After Effects easily. There wasnt much 3D movement at all.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]