FORUMS: list search recent posts

No Shading Group Associated Errors

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Mawhiney
No Shading Group Associated Errors
on Apr 14, 2012 at 12:48:43 pm

Hey folks,

I have four similar scenes to render for a student film in maya software mode - all of them come from the same original file. The first three rendered beautifully, but I'm having a problem rendering the final scene. When I attempt to render it, all that shows up are the self-illuminated objects. Everything else in the shot is black. In reviewing the log, I've found multiple errors similar to this:

- building0022|window009|windowHeader001|polySurfaceShape3 has no shading group associated with it. This means that it will not be rendered. Please assign it to a shading group.

I've checked, and there are shaders assigned to all the objects. I've created new shaders and assigned them to objects with no change in their renderability.

I'm stumped at this point. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!


Return to posts index

Scott Mawhiney
Re: No Shading Group Associated Errors
on Apr 14, 2012 at 5:10:27 pm

Okay, some additional information after monkeying around with it for a bit. I deleted the directional light in the scene and created a new one - low and behold, everything was lit up properly. Still not sure what the problem is, but this seems to fix it.

Pardon the pun, but if anyone can "shed some light" on this problem, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks again!


Return to posts index

Scott Mawhiney
Re: No Shading Group Associated Errors
on Apr 14, 2012 at 6:30:02 pm

I spoke too soon. Although the fix I described work in another of my files, the original file I discussed continues to have this same problem - even after I remove all the lights from the scene and put in new ones.

So, I'm back to square one. Any ideas?


Return to posts index


Scott Mawhiney
And finally I got it to work!
on Apr 14, 2012 at 11:40:38 pm

Seems the problem with the first scene was either a bad piece of geometry of the texture on it. I systematically started deleting things from the scene until it rendered properly. I then exported the piece I needed from one of the other working files, and imported it into my non-rendering file. After that it all worked perfectly!

Hopefully this will help someone else with a similar problem.


Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: And finally I got it to work!
on Apr 15, 2012 at 10:33:57 pm

Thanks for posting your solution--sorry we didn't manage to help you out before you solved it yourself.


Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]