FORUMS: list search recent posts

how do i turn off snap on the new split polygon tool???

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
King Law
how do i turn off snap on the new split polygon tool???
on Mar 28, 2012 at 6:48:53 am

Im using maya2012 and im trying to cut through some faces with the slit polygon tool without it snaping to the nearest edge , how do i do that?, i know for sure that what im trying to do here was possible in the older maya such as maya 2008 and 09 only problem is i dont know how to get the tool out of snap mode in maya 2012 Help please!!

kinglaw

Return to posts index

Ben van Hamelen
Re: how do i turn off snap on the new split polygon tool???
on Mar 28, 2012 at 10:26:29 am

Welcome to the terrible new split polygon tool. To turn off the snapping, go to its options and set Magnet Tolerance to 0.

In my opinion, it makes the tool even less usable, but in some situations you have little choice. They say this a lot about new/revamped features, but the old splitter truly was so much better.

http://www.fireinthesole.com/

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Apr 1, 2012 at 5:04:23 pm

Also note that there are actually two splitting tools now: the 'Split Polygon Tool," which I think is identical to the old behaviour, and the new 'Interactive Split Tool,' which is a whole different animal.

Return to posts index

Ben van Hamelen
on Apr 5, 2012 at 10:19:20 am

Late reply, but as far as I know the Split Polygon Tool is unavailable in Maya 2012 and actually replaced by the Interactive Split Tool.

Because under Edit Mesh, I only have the Interactive Split Tool. If there's a hidden Split Polygon Tool somewhere, I'd love to have it, because that one worked great.

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Apr 5, 2012 at 4:49:11 pm

Hi, Ben.

Yes, the old version of the tool is still around. You're right, though: it doesn't seem to exist in the standard menus.

Select a poly object, then shift-right-click on it to open up the poly editing marking menu. To the left will be 'Split >' and if you mouseover that, the next menu level will open, displaying 'Interactive Split Tool []' on the left and 'Split Polygon Tool []' on the right.

Bad form, Autodesk! As bloated and cluttered as the Edit Mesh menu is, there should be an item in there for this tool.

Return to posts index

Ben van Hamelen
on Apr 5, 2012 at 5:13:06 pm

Neat! That's gonna help me out a LOT. Out with the IST, in with the SPT.

I never use the shift + RMB menu, so I've never even encountered it. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Apr 5, 2012 at 9:47:55 pm

Glad that helps! As the Edit Mesh menu gets longer and longer, I'm more often turning to the marking menu instead. Its context-sensitivity is pretty good, so the commands and tools it displays tend to be useful for your current selection.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]