FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dynamics/IK/Surface penetration

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kris Glover
Dynamics/IK/Surface penetration
on Mar 19, 2012 at 8:01:22 pm

I'm learning Maya, so forgive me if my knowledge isn't as solid as it should be yet. But I'm needing a direct solution to a project I need to finish...

I have a rigged hand that I need to grasp and pull a box. Currently, the big problem is that the fingers go right through the edge of the box. I need the fingers to react to contact with the edge of the box, even if it's just flattening the surface of the fingers a bit. Ideally, I would be able to use the fingers to actually pull the box.

Tutorials would be perfect, but just pointing me at a sure solution would be great too... I keep going down roads that don't take me to the solution, and while I'm learning, I'm not getting my project closer to completion.

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: Dynamics/IK/Surface penetration
on Mar 20, 2012 at 9:26:53 pm

Here's one cheap hack you can use to accomplish something like this.

Lattice deformers can be used to flatten out an object when they start to intersect a certain volume of space.

Apply a lattice deformer to your hand, using the options to group the lattice and base together. Now edit the lattice to collapse one side against the other--left to right, or top to bottom, or whatever. Now move the group (containing both the lattice and the base) back and forth over your object along that axis. It should cause your object to flatten any time it enters the lattice. If you parent the lattice group under your cube, the fingers will appear to flatten out as they hit the surface. You could use multiple lattices for different sides of the box.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]