FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fluid Motion

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joshua Kerr
Fluid Motion
on Mar 5, 2012 at 12:44:55 pm

Hi Guys

I'm currently working on an explosion that engulfs a spaceship and have so far come up with something thats looking good but i'm less than satisfied with the motion of the fluid. It's not that the explosion doesn't behave like an explosion, rather that the texture doesn't move like one. But the texture colour is exactly the way I want it. Is resolution the best form of getting a realistic movement? I'm currently at 60x60x60 and the shading quality is at 3. Would you recommend using a higher resolution?

all the best

Click to view my video production company or visit our company facebook page.

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: Fluid Motion
on Mar 6, 2012 at 2:43:24 pm

It sounds like you're experiencing the problem of texture 'swimming,' where the pattern of the texture remains obviously fixed in space while the density of the fluid moves through it. This is a pretty common problem. Maya does allow you to have the texture follow the fluid movement, but that tends to produce stretching artifacts that look just as bad as the swimming.

You might be able to fake things by animating the texture origin, scale, amplitude and time carefully, camouflaging the fact that it is swimming, but this won't work in all cases.

After that, the most common solution seems indeed to be to turn off the texture and increase the resolution of the fluid. For something like an explosion, which starts small and then expands, consider using Auto Resize, so the container resolution can start out small and cut down on some simulation time.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Return to posts index

Joshua Kerr
Re: Fluid Motion
on May 2, 2012 at 7:24:40 pm

By turning off the texture do you literally mean uncheck texture color, and texture opacity?

Swimming does sound like what im experiencing. Is animating the texture setting thought of as general practice? As you say there are ways to have the texture follow the fluid movement....but what are those ways. Despite the potential for artifacts I'd like to try this first.

The annoying part is that a still frame of the animation looks the closest i've ever been to photorealism. So I have to nail this.

All the best

Click to view my video production company or visit our company facebook page.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]