COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sala Sultan
Snapping/rigid body/good tutorials?
on Mar 5, 2012 at 12:51:29 am

Hello!
Hope you guys are doing well!
I have 3 questions with Maya 2012:
A problem with snapping: it smeems when I hit the W key to move objects around the it snappes arouf it doesn't move smoothly, I thought that the snap function is turned on but all of them are turned off as I see them in the menu bar, when I hit rotate or scale it doesn't snap but only with the move tool, how can I fix that?
2-I saw in a few tutorials that you can snap an object to a point by hitting w then holding the v while selecting the point that the selected object desired to snap to, it didn't work with me. Do u know how can I fix that as well?
3-I'd like to get into rigid bodies or dinamics, for example a wall collaps and fall on the ground or glass breaks in pieces on the floor, is there a good tutorial for that?
Looking forward to hear from you
Thanks in advance

Sala

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: Snapping/rigid body/good tutorials?
on Mar 5, 2012 at 2:57:45 pm

Hello, Sala.

1. It sounds like your Move tool has 'discrete move' activated, which is different than snapping. This feature restricts movement to user-defined increments, e.g. 1 unit at a time, or 1.5 units, and so on. Open your tool settings window and deactivate that feature. Note that it exists for others tools as well; it's often useful to rotate by discrete amounts, for example. The hotkey to temporarily activate this feature is 'j'.

2. You can snap to points by holding 'v', yes. You do NOT need to select the point you want to snap to. Instead, while holding 'v', simply drag your object around. It will keep snapping to the point that is closest to your mouse pointer. One thing to note is that snapping only works when your Move tool is set to 'World' mode, so if it's in Object or Local mode, it won't work.

3. I don't have a list of specific tutorials, but you could try Gnomon or Digital Tutors. The Maya help files are quite good if you're just starting out. You may want to investigate the relatively new DMM (Digital Molecular Matter) tools in Maya.

Hope that helps.

Return to posts index

Sala Sultan
on Mar 6, 2012 at 5:56:47 am

Steve thanks a million!
Everything you mentioned turned out right, all solved!
I'm new to Maya, I'm used to Cenima 4D.. So expect more questions lol
Thanks man!

Sala

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Mar 6, 2012 at 2:44:04 pm

Glad to hear it! Maya's sometimes frustrating but also very rewarding. Good luck with it!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]