FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do others archive large projects?

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil Hoppes
How do others archive large projects?
on Feb 29, 2012 at 3:55:25 pm

I'm a pretty simply one man shop with a main workstation, a powerful laptop a render server and a RAID 10 data server. I recently completed a large (for me) project that was composed of 11 5 minute animations which has a lot of rendered Maya and other files. All total, the project comes to just under 660Gb of data spread across some 155K files. I'm wondering what is the best way to archive this project. I know that a substantial portion of the data is taken in the multitude of rendered frame sequences both out of Maya, Nuke and other programs I use. I'm quite loath to just delete those as they took so much time to render. Granted, for the final composition the image sequences have been made into movie files for final composition with Premier Pro but should my customer want some changes down the road, as you all know, its easy to make a quick change and render a few frames in the middle of a pre-rendered sequence. It's a major PITA to re-render the entire thing again. I have backup drives that I run nightly and I also use CVS to check into my data server all of the project files, sans rendered image sequences, to my RAID 10 data server. I know shelf life on HD's just sitting around is not great and my experience with tape systems over long time in a previous life of work has really soured me on those. I'm thinking of burning to a series of TY BD disks as 14 DD disks would do it but I also wonder about the lifetime on those. I believe the realistic expected life I would want the data "on line" is probably 1-2 years. After that I would say I could trash the image sequences, compress what was left and burn to a few BD disks.

I'm curious what others out there are using?

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: How do others archive large projects?
on Mar 7, 2012 at 12:50:21 am

Over the years it went from CD, DVD, DLT, HD now BD.
Honestly whatever works for you is best.
I say HD e.g. external hard-disks that you can take off-line.
And I mean off-line as in hide in a diff location.
Some folks I know think off-line is another storage sitting 2 feet above where the original drives are :P

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]