FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ripples in an ocean

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Juan Manuel
Ripples in an ocean
on Feb 24, 2012 at 2:00:10 pm

Ok, while I've used 3ds Max for a few years to do not too complicated stuff, I'm rather new to Maya. I'm trying to make a jet of water falling into water and creating a small ripple in the water surface. Essentially, something like the pond ripple included with Maya, but with an ocean as the pond seems rather dull. However, I'm not finding the way to tweak the wake to replicate the effect. I guess it's a bit of a newbie question, but any help is welcome

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: Ripples in an ocean
on Feb 24, 2012 at 4:57:44 pm

What is your 'jet of water' composed of?

To get it to interact with your ocean surface you need to either attach some sort of field to it, make it an emitter itself, etc.

(I had thought you could simply make particles emit density into the ocean, but it seems tricky to accomplish that. I did manage to get it to work, but I had to manually make some connections from the particle object to the emitter... not sure how comfortable you are with such workflows.)

You can always just add more fields and tweak their properties to move an ocean surface around...

Return to posts index

Juan Manuel
on Feb 24, 2012 at 5:37:47 pm

I was using particles - I wasn't getting results I liked with them not just with the interaction but with the look as well, so I was actually thinking in composing it later with After Effects and using trapcode particular to make the jet of water while some invisible object causes the ripples in the ocean in Maya.

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Feb 24, 2012 at 5:57:24 pm

Yeah, that can work. For something very chaotic, you don't necessarily need to make things interact authentically. Use whatever tools you have to, and the noise will probably help everything blend together anyway.

Good luck.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]