FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using Still images to render light and shadows on a model

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Malcom Renolds
Using Still images to render light and shadows on a model
on Feb 23, 2012 at 2:38:34 pm

Hi folks, Noob here. I wonder if someone could point me in the direction of tutorials using 360 deg still images to render shadows and lights accurately in a scene.

To help explain a bit better (I don't know is this is available outside the uk - A video clip of what I mean.
The Gadget Show Special effects challenge - part 2 Channel5.com

http://fwd.channel5.com/gadget-show/videos/challenge/special-effects-challe...

Scrub to 04:00

Return to posts index

Ben van Hamelen
Re: Using Still images to render light and shadows on a model
on Feb 24, 2012 at 10:33:11 am

That video is unfortunately unavailable in my country, but judging by your post I think I know what you mean.

What you're looking for is HDR imagery (or HDRI). An HDR is a 32-bit image format that contains much more lighting information than your ordinary .jpg file. I haven't seen many tutorials for the newer versions of Maya on this subject, so I'll write a real short description on how to put up a basic HDR scene. It's pretty easy:

> Go to render settings
> Make sure you're in Mental Ray
> Go to the Indirect Lighting tab
> Near the top of that page there should be a button saying something like 'Create Image Based Lighting'.
> Click it and open its attributes (it usually does that automatically)
> You should see a box where you can browse to a file.
> Browse to your .HDR file (ALWAYS try to use an .HDR and not an 8-bit image like .jpg. It will not work as good)
> There should now be a huge sphere in your scene with your .HDR file on it. With some final gather it should already create some pretty decent renders.

You might need to turn the HDR sphere around a bit to get the best results for your scene. And do try out different kinds of HDR's. Google will get you some decent ones, but there are some true gems out there.

Does that answer your question?

http://www.fireinthesole.com/

Return to posts index

Malcom Reynolds
Re: Using Still images to render light and shadows on a model
on Feb 24, 2012 at 11:58:08 am

Thank you Ben! I think that might be it.

In the sequence of the video live action is being used with a 3D robot. The Maya operator was there at the live shoot taking a 360 panorama of the scene. Back at the Studio I think I see the images stitched together in photoshop and then added to a 'dome' mesh above the model. I think what you have said - very clearly and concisely! is the answer.

Thank you very much Sir. Much appreciated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]