FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recentering my complex object? Pivots, position, everything

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Anderson
Recentering my complex object? Pivots, position, everything
on Feb 17, 2012 at 10:59:58 pm

I'm in Maya 2012, I built a complex object made of many objects. I made it away from the center of the grid because I originally was going put it in a scene, but I decided to composite things together in After Effects instead. I select the whole object and combine it and have a spinning animation of it in the timeline. The spin has a slight wobble that I can't correct because some axis isn't right. I've adjusted an axis before so I know it can be done, I centered a pivot point before, centered the object only to find some other position control was off. Really, help! I want my object to center up on the center of the grid with all position controls centered in it's center. The ever tiny wobble in my spin is a pain to deal with in After Effects when compositing.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: Recentering my complex object? Pivots, position, everything
on Feb 21, 2012 at 6:15:56 pm

This is very difficult to diagnose without a screenshot or, better yet, a video.

What kind of a wobble are you seeing? Is it a vertical structure that seems to sweep out a small circle instead of spinning on one fixed point? Or is it a fat, squat object that seems to shift slightly sideways back-and-forth as the scene plays?

Remember that 'Center Pivot' just puts the pivot at the center of the object's bounding box, so if you have an uneven shape (for example, because of protruding structures that are asymmetrical), the pivot won't 'feel' centered to our eyes.

Return to posts index

Joe Anderson
Re: Recentering my complex object? Pivots, position, everything
on Feb 24, 2012 at 7:56:37 am

I'll try to get a low rez video of the object spinning uploaded soon for you to see. Maybe it would be better if I sent project files though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]