FORUMS: list search recent posts

.png or .tiff alpha channels not being recognized by lights, getting square halos on my renders.

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Benjamin Middleton
.png or .tiff alpha channels not being recognized by lights, getting square halos on my renders.
on Feb 3, 2012 at 4:54:34 am

Hi everyone,

The subject line pretty much says it all. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. This for a contract I have to do an animation for a global charity organization, in case a clever 3D guy who specializes in making 3D look like 2D illustrations wants to get in on a gig then let me know.

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: .png or .tiff alpha channels not being recognized by lights, getting square halos on my renders.
on Feb 3, 2012 at 2:34:50 pm

Do you mean there's no transparency at all, or there is a faint square outline visible beyond the main area of transparency?

Also, are we talking about the objects themselves or the shadows they cast?

A screenshot would probably help if you can post one.

Return to posts index

Benjamin Middleton
Re: .png or .tiff alpha channels not being recognized by lights, getting square halos on my renders.
on Feb 3, 2012 at 3:48:22 pm

Ambiant occlusion doesn't recognize my alpha channels, and yes, the shadows have a faint halo. So there is transparency, but it's as if the image is on a clear film and the film is visible.

On this project we are going for a hand-drawn style, so there's loads of linework and illustrations that are being ruined by alpha issues.

Transparency is working, but AO and Shadows aren't. (oddly, when i use mental ray 'sun and sky' generator the render looks clean, so there has to be a way?)

Return to posts index

Stuart Christensen
on Feb 4, 2012 at 9:06:26 pm

From time to time I've run into the same issue with Alpha stuff and I found that the problem was hiding in the material that the image is assigned to. If you attach an image to say a standard Lambert, if you look in the Raytrace Options, you will find Shadow Attenuation is set to .500, you should set this to 0 and your shadow halos will disappear. Here's a link to a tutorial I made with some basic stuff for alpha channel stuff. I'm quite fond of .PNG for this kind of thing. Hope this helps.

I know alot....but not as much as the other guy.

Return to posts index

Benjamin Middleton
on Feb 5, 2012 at 8:49:01 am

Hi Stuart,

Thank you SO much. That has handled this. Thanks for taking the time to give this life changing tip.

MUCH appreciated.

-B

Return to posts index

Stuart Christensen
on Feb 5, 2012 at 9:28:51 pm

Glad I could help! It's usually some simple settings with Maya that can totally mess with your flow. Now go do some great things!

All the best to you.
Stu

I know alot....but not as much as the other guy.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]