FORUMS: list search recent posts

capture CG lights on an image?

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
lou cann
capture CG lights on an image?
on Jan 22, 2012 at 5:21:26 am

Hi All,
Iknow that if I want to capture " CG shadows" on an image , I would use the shader "USED BACKGROUND SHADER"
But how do you capture "CG Lighting" in Maya?

For example, I Have a spot light panning around in a 360 degree. I also have an image of a house set up in the camera image plane.
I want the spot light to hit the house and capture the spot light as it passes by.

I set up some basic planes to allow a surface shader to be applied, but I can't figure out how to do it.

Thanks,
Lou

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: capture CG lights on an image?
on Jan 23, 2012 at 3:17:55 pm

Don't use a surface shader for this; surface shaders ignore lighting by design.

The best way to do this is probably to just render your light passing over your planes without the house image, then composite the two layers together afterwards (using an 'add' method).

If you really have to render it all in one pass, use a Lambert for your stand-in surfaces. If you have sections you want to react differently, like windows, they should use Phong or whatever is appropriate. Map the photo of the house to the 'color' attribute of the materials, and put an ambient light in the scene with an intensity of 1 and an Ambient Shade of 0. That should make the unlit portions of the surfaces behave like a surface shader, while still allowing the spotlight to boost the illumination in the appropriate areas.

Hope that helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]