FORUMS: list search recent posts

Strange results when importing FBX into Maya (2011)

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dean chapman
Strange results when importing FBX into Maya (2011)
on Dec 19, 2011 at 10:07:26 pm

I am getting strange results when importing an FBX into Maya.

I export a .fbx skeleton and animation from Animeeple....and this is what i get (please see attached image).

I have tried importing the same .fbx into Cinema 4D, and it comes in just fine...skeleton and animation intact...although the scale is super small.

When I hit play in Maya, there is definitely animation......it's just the reference splines are wacked out...and where is the skeleton?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Return to posts index

dean chapman
Re: Strange results when importing FBX into Maya (2011)
on Dec 20, 2011 at 3:59:54 am

Ok, It seems that the joint size is the culprit.

But i still have a problem with this...

Lets say I have two skeletons...

One made with the HIK window within Maya, and the other is an imported FBX from Animeeple.

The HIK Skeleton joints are normal size, and the Animeeple FBX joints are huge.

If i go to Display>Animation>Joint Size and alter the size, it affects all the joints...and there is still a mismatch in size between the two skeletons.

So, instead i try to select the root bone of the Animeeple skeleton, select the hierarchy...and change the Joint Radius within the attribute editor. But this only changes the root joint size. How can I change the entire hierarchy joint size? Do i need some sort of script?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Dec 22, 2011 at 9:15:51 pm

No, you don't need a script.

You'll need to select all the joints in the skeleton you want to change. The easiest way to do this is using the Outliner.

Find the root joint in the Outliner. Then SHIFT-click the '+' sign next to it. This will fully expand all lower levels of hierarchy, revealing every joint in the skeleton (Shift-clicking again will fully collapse it, as well). Now click on the root joint, then scroll down to the end of the skeleton hierarchy, and Shift-click on the last joint. This will select everything in-between. Now just adjust the Radius attribute in your Channel Box, and it will affect all the joints in that skeleton.

Hope that helps,

-Steve

Return to posts index

dean chapman
on Dec 23, 2011 at 8:47:04 am

Thanks Steve....but I still can't seem to get this simple task completed.

I've tried this a million times and no matter what, it only changes the radius of the last joint selected....

So, I'll expand the root (Hips) joint, and shift select every joint in the hierarchy (last joint being "RightToes_End"), i'll then go to the attribute editor and change the value of the Joint>radius. The only joint that is ever affected is the "RightToes_End" joint (last joint in the hierarchy)

I've even tried to simply make a brand new 3 joint hierarchy....shift selecting the 3 joints, and changing the joint radius in the AE....but it never works. It just changes the size of the last joint in the hierarchy.

Is this a glitch? I gotta be missing something here....this should be so easy.

Any suggestions.

Attached is a picture just to be clear:

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Jan 4, 2012 at 2:54:16 pm

Hi Dean. Sorry for the slow reply--I took a break for the holidays.

The problem is that the Attribute Editor only lets you edit one object at a time; that's why in my previous post I specified that you should use the Channel Box to change the Radius value. That should solve your problem.

Happy New Year,

-Steve

Return to posts index

dean chapman
on Jan 4, 2012 at 7:48:03 pm

Ahhh...Thanks Steve!

I should really read more carefully...

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]