FORUMS: list search recent posts

Animating and compositing workflow question.

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Cooper
Animating and compositing workflow question.
on Dec 15, 2011 at 10:30:18 pm

I modeled a spider in maya and wanted it to crawl across the arm of the drummer in the first shot, leap off, then land on the arm in the 2nd shot. In each shot the Camera is stationary, so the only thing moving are the people on screen. Sorry I only have stills, i got them from an image sequence.

Shot 1:

Shot 2:

I'm relatively new so i was just curious what sort of approaches different people might take to get the job done as I described. I'm open and thankful for any suggestions anyone might have.

Thanks,
Joe C.

Return to posts index

Ben van Hamelen
Re: Animating and compositing workflow question.
on Dec 16, 2011 at 9:05:53 pm

I hate to bring it to you, but I'm afraid it's near impossible.

One of the requirements to make the spider believable is proper tracking of the arm, so it can sit still on it. No track, no nothing. And that's where it goes wrong, because:

1. Object tracking is significantly more complicated than regular 3d camera tracking.
2. The object in this case, the arm, has no usable tracking points. None. No usuable tracking points = no track.

I can say, with 100% confidence, that is not possible to do what you want. If you're going to do more of this, get into (3d) tracking. Next time there's a video being shot which you'll be editing later: be present on set. Advise the director on what YOU need to fix the shot. They may find you annoying, but they are surprisingly easy to work with as soon as they get their head around the fact that there will be NO shot without you.

Or get a more experienced VFX supervisor to do it for you.

http://www.fireinthesole.com/

Return to posts index

Joe Cooper
Re: Animating and compositing workflow question.
on Dec 17, 2011 at 7:40:35 am

thanks for the response.

I realized both your points before i even asked, but just figured I'd ask anyway. But i'm glad I understood, on my own, what the problem's were with what I was trying to do.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]