FORUMS: list search recent posts

jumping effects happen when animating paint effects

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christine Giguere
jumping effects happen when animating paint effects
on Dec 1, 2011 at 8:24:40 pm

Hi,
I'm animating some paint effects trees and two problems occur. The first one is that the position of the trees suddenly jumps from one frame to another in a weard way like it's missing some frames in between. Sometimes it's very obvious, sometimes more subtle but still upsetting.
I checked out all my keyframes but I don't see any problem there. However I notice that when the curve animation passes from negative to positive or from positive to negative, it often jumps exactly at the frame with value 0, but not always. The problem also occurs in other values and I couldn't identify why.
The second problem is that the bark texture also jumps.It seems that the position of the uvs change suddenly.
Theses 2 problems create disturbing cuts in the animation.

Anybody can help me on that please??

Return to posts index

Christine Giguere
Re: jumping effects happen when animating paint effects
on Dec 4, 2011 at 5:17:54 pm

Hello again,
I made tests with ramp texture on my tree and saw that the texture flips 180° (suddenly from one frame to the next one, as I said in my first message). When it happens there is usually a gap in the movement of the tree at the same frame. But I often have gaps in the movement without the texture problem.

Please have a look at the images and help meeee!

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Dec 5, 2011 at 3:00:28 pm

Christine, I don't think you posted any images.

In general, animating Paint Effects will not always be smooth. The process used to draw PFX, as far as I understand it, involves certain 'thresholds' being crossed, which can give rise to the kind of jumping you're describing. I'm not sure exactly what properties you're trying to animate, but you may not be able to achieve a seamless animation unless you change your approach.

-Steve

Return to posts index

Christine Giguere
on Dec 5, 2011 at 6:03:07 pm

Thank you Steve.

You're right. I'll have to change my approach. (Too bad, I had lot of fun this way!) The Paints Effects would need some amelioration. Actually, I use paint effects in a very uncommon way.

I found, with a very clever software ingeneer who gave me some maths lessons, that the problem occurs often at the inflection point of the animation curve. The most problematic parameter is the Split Twist. It's the one that makes uvs to flip and provoke lots of gaps in the movement of the trees. I removed all the keyframes of that parameter and that solved most of the problems. Unfortunately, it obviously also changed all my animation and I have to find a way to redo it in an other way.

The other problematic parameters are Spiral Max and Min when they get to 0 and then change from negative to positive values or the opposite. I just found that putting Spiral Decay to 0 at these frames solves the problem.

I think I'm close to find a solution. Still studying...

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]