FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting to aftereffects

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mathias Duch
Exporting to aftereffects
on Nov 22, 2011 at 8:03:39 am

Hi, I was wondering if it was possible to render the model itself out, and drag the thing into aftereffects.
NOT as a batch render. but as a model i can turn and manipulate(not model) in aftereffects..
say i have a drone that ive made in maya..
And i want to animate its figlt in after effects is this possible?

i only found a plugin for blender.

Return to posts index

Ben van Hamelen
Re: Exporting to aftereffects
on Nov 22, 2011 at 12:56:22 pm

So you want to be able to move the OBJECT into AE?

We can be short on that: no, it's not possible. AE does not support 3D. Instead, it has something most people call 2.5D. Other compositing packages like Nuke and Fusion do support 3D objects.

http://www.fireinthesole.com/

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Nov 23, 2011 at 2:57:17 pm

I believe Ben is correct (though I'm not very knowledgeable about After Effects).

Note, however, that I believe it is possible to export a camera from Maya and bring it into AE. If you render an animation of your 3D object in Maya, and then bring that camera into AE, you should be able to get the AE camera to match the Maya camera. So if you want, for example. for your camera to follow a plane as it flies over a big video screen, you could do that by making the video screen a 3D layer in AE, and using your imported camera.

Never done it myself, but I understand it's pretty standard practice for 3D/2D workflow.

-Steve

Return to posts index

Mathias Duch
on Nov 25, 2011 at 7:34:10 am

actually i found a way to import and manipulate, rough models into after effects. it is not cabable to handle reflections.. but it handles 3D like a champ! :)

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Nov 28, 2011 at 2:41:29 pm

That's great news--would you mind posting your solution for others?

-Steve

Return to posts index

Mathias Duch
on Nov 29, 2011 at 7:51:47 am

Yes sorry!
Forgot all about that! /:

i found this tutorial..
it handels mesh fine, though at this point it cant handle Mia materials. it can only handle materials that can be rendered with the maya renderer(not mental ray)
And it oes not respond with relections in AE
So you cant make a chrome ball and make it respond in to its universe in AE

Though its still usefull i just had a job where i used it to, he had a drone that flew around wich i modelled in maya and then animated it in AE!
Have fun! :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]