I am a completely new to maya and i need to help on texturing -
I need to put this soccer club logo on a soccer ball. I want the logo to cover the whole ball. I have created the sphere but i need to know step by step how to texture the logo on to it.
1. Open the Hypershader
2. Create a new Lambert.
3. Double-click the Lambert. It'll now open it in the Attribute editor on the right. Click on the small checker-button on the right of 'Color'.
4. Select file. In the newly made File-attributes, browse to your ball-texture. I'm assuming you've already made it.
5. Optional step: in the file attributes, set filter to Off. I like to do that more often than not, because textures tend to go all fuzzy in default mode.
6. Drag the Lambert you made in the Hypershader onto the sphere. It'll most likely look like crap at this point.
7. Make sure the dropdown menu at the top left of your interface is set to Polygon. Go to Create UV's > Spherical mapping.
8. Tweak the handles to your liking.
That's pretty much the basics of it. It's fairly hard to explain such a thing to someone that has no experience, but I hope this'll do. If you're planning on doing more work in Maya, check out a Introduction to Maya course at, say, Digital Tutors.