FORUMS: list search recent posts

Attaching Clothes

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jacqueline Johnsen
Attaching Clothes
on Oct 17, 2011 at 1:21:26 pm

So still working on my adjustable female project. And ran into another problem, this time not related to melscript. XD

It's attaching the clothes to my body mesh. I used wrap before and it worked just find, but it can't handle more then one clothing article (not even when I group, but then again, wrap wasn't really meant for this anyway).
So how can I attach the clothes to the bodymesh, where the clothes will follow the shape of the bodymesh when I alter it with blendshapes (bigger tummy, more muscles etc).
Thanks again for the help! XD

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: Attaching Clothes
on Oct 17, 2011 at 1:59:00 pm

Are your clothes dynamically simulated using nCloth or just rigged with deformers?

If they're simulated this is going to be a very tricky problem indeed. If they're just rigged, I don't know why you couldn't use wrap deformers... blendshapes might also do the trick.

-Steve

Return to posts index

Jacqueline Johnsen
on Oct 17, 2011 at 5:27:11 pm

Creating blendshapes for each clothing article is going to be way too much work (several clothing articles x loads of different body types). The clothings meshes were created by MarvelousDesigner and are simple triangelated meshes that fit right onto the body mesh. So they are not simulated and not rigged.
Wrap deformers should work, but it's too much for maya and it crashes if I use more then 1 clothing article. However I came to understand that wrap deformers weren't meant for complicated meshes.
I really don't have a lot of experience with creating loose clothes, so what is the usual approach? Just combine? Something with cloth simulation? Or rigging and clusters?
I wasn't planning on rigging my character, but I will if it'll solve my problem. ^^

Return to posts index

Jacqueline Johnsen
on Oct 17, 2011 at 6:51:57 pm

Small update:
Used N-Cloth. And if I adjust the blendshape over time it works. However this is not going to work as a clothes/body adjusting tool. (unless I use a generate button or something)
I'm also thinking that I could combine all the clothes from the start and then create all the blendshapes. It would work but be a real mess. So I'm going to call that my plan Z.
Still looking for a better solution... :/

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Oct 18, 2011 at 5:00:08 pm

What method are you using to blend between the different body shapes? Joints? Blendshapes? I'd imagine that applying the same method to the clothing would work.

Wrap deformers could be made more efficient if you used low-res proxy geometry instead of dense final geometry. The wrap influence object doesn't need to be visible.

-Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]