FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hand on glass?

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Max Nuage
Hand on glass?
on Oct 11, 2011 at 5:36:52 pm

I'm currently doing some animation tests with my very first character model. Unfortunately I'm quite new to dynamics and deformation, what I'm trying to achieve is to make the character's hands touch a glass window in a certain scene, so his hand needs to deform on the glass surface. I'm unaware on how to do that, or how to make my character deform to environmental influences in general.

Been trying to find a tutorial on that for a while now, but couldn't find the right search keywords. Could anyone help me? :(

EDIT: All objects are polygonal by the way.

Thanks in advance,

Max

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: Hand on glass?
on Oct 11, 2011 at 5:49:11 pm

I'd say the best way to make a deformable object press against a hard surface like glass is to use a lattice deformer.

A lattice can be set up so as to affect all the points that have passed into its interior, and deform them according to a cage. In your case, you'd want the lattice region to encompass the glass itself (and the space beyond it, i.e. the far side from the character), and you'd want to collapse the cage to zero width along that direction. So as the character's hand animates towards/through the glass, it starts to fall under the influence of the lattice and all those points essentially get 'stopped' at the very edge.

If you want to get fancy, you can also think about trying to get the flesh to bulge outwards slightly as it presses against the glass... that would be more tricky; I don't know how I'd approach it.

-Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]