FORUMS: list search recent posts

I need to make a product demo...

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
minesh shah
I need to make a product demo...
on Oct 6, 2011 at 7:40:33 pm

So basically need to make a product demo... like ones they do for concept phone designs and have no idea whats the best way to go about it. Would maya be the best bet, or is there an easier method or software. Nothing major, but for coursework.

Return to posts index

Ben van Hamelen
Re: I need to make a product demo...
on Oct 6, 2011 at 8:08:05 pm

Like a product visualization? Recently I've done a few of those for Philips in Maya and it works pretty well actually. Just some 360 animations.

Just create the model or download a stock model, depends on your assignment, and ofcourse assign some sweet shaders. From there, a nice studio HDR* plugged into the Image Based Lighting @ Render settings works miracles. If required, you can add some custom lights to tweak it further. Finally, you could add a half-circular planar strip with a white lambert assigned to it with high incandescence (1 or higher), positioned over the model. It adds some real nice reflections, which are pretty much always present in product visualizations.

*I recommend the .hdr's from GreyScale Gorilla's HDRI pro kit. They're made for Cinema4D, but the HDR's work just fine in Maya. Work very well for product visualizations.

http://www.fireinthesole.com/

Return to posts index

minesh shah
on Oct 6, 2011 at 8:41:26 pm

So how would i get a stock model into maya? i mean i need to create something like the iphone videos like:

Just get different angles and stuff. Just started my course and i'm ery new to MAYA. Thanks so much for yourreply earlier :)

Return to posts index

Ben van Hamelen
on Oct 7, 2011 at 8:08:21 am

Well, aren't you in luck today. I happen to have run into an iPhone 4 model just the other day. http://dogday-design.se/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/iPhone_4.zip

Just drag the .obj file into your scene. (note: for some reason it gave me an error. Either way, iPhone stock models are easy to find, Google is your friend). You'll most likely have to retexture, but that's nothing too complicated. Create some custom camera's and find some nice angles with nice reflections. Create some subtle moves as well. There's no strict way to do it, really (and if there was, it'd take me hours to describe it). Try what works and what doesn't.

It does sound like a tricky assignment for a starter, I have to say. That Apple vid is filled with all kinds of trickery to get those nice reflections. Look into using planes with lamberts assigned to them with HIGH incandescence values like I mentioned earlier. They can help a ton.

Good luck.

http://www.fireinthesole.com/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]