FORUMS: list search recent posts

Maya lighting issues

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kim Stewart
Maya lighting issues
on Sep 21, 2011 at 10:32:29 pm

Hi there,

I'm having trouble sorting out the lighting for my animation. Basically I have two scenes; the first one has the main camera following a path to a building and rendered fine, the second one has the main camera keyframed throughout the building and is a continuation from the first scene. Therefore, the images need to look exactly the same.

First scene render:

Second scene render:

I have double checked all the settings between the two scenes. Everything is the same... Same render settings, texture settings, lights, raytracing, etc... The only thing I can think is perhaps the default light or another light is just not working in the second scene?

Any help will be much appreciated! I have been racking my brains over this for two weeks now!

http://www.kimstewart.co.uk

Return to posts index

Stuart Christensen
Re: Maya lighting issues
on Sep 22, 2011 at 6:37:45 am

The main problem that I see is that your second camera is a slightly different angle than the first and because you are using a Blinn material with high reflectivity (assumed) the materials themselves are causing a lighting "anomaly" due to angle of reflection etc. If the camera angles vary with these material choices there will be different lighting characteristics due to that reflection versus camera angle.

So, essentially your texturing choices are causing the problems with the set-up you are working with. Highly reflective or semi-transparent surfaces are always problematic when trying to match lighting and overall look.

On a simple level, you will probably need to adjust your material choices to better fit the scene you are working on. Keep experimenting because there's probably some better material choices you can make to help the scene look more natural and better fit the overall environment. You may also want to use the Physical Sun Sky to establish a great looking natural environment for the scene which would provide a much better (consistent) lighting bed for your scene.

Just my two cents worth! Feel free to ask anything you like. Hope that helps.

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Sep 22, 2011 at 1:56:47 pm

I have to respectfully disagree with Stuart's guess. I think that the differences we're seeing here are too great to be due to the slightly different camera angle alone--presumably, Kim, you're also seeing this lighting difference throughout the animation, not just on these two frames.

However, I don't necessarily have a better guess. It shouldn't be a default light issue, because the default light is only active when there are no other lights in the scene.

There are two main possibilities: the issue is either with your lights, or with your render settings. To test the first possibility, try exporting all the lights from the first scene into a separate file, then deleting all lights in both scenes and importing the same lighting file into both.

If it's something to do with render settings, on the other hand, it would help to know what renderer you're using. Maya software? Mental ray? Mental ray can often be the culprit for this sort of thing because it has more settings that allow the environment to affect the lighting of objects.

As a final note, if the only thing that's supposed to be different between the two scenes is the camera animation, why not just export one of the cameras from one scene and import it into the other?

Hope something in there helps.

-Steve

Return to posts index

Kim Stewart
on Sep 23, 2011 at 2:13:50 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks for your help with this. The camera angles are the same, basically the first and second scene are exactly the same except I had to create a second scene as Maya would not let me keyframe the camera after it had followed a path. I simply deleted the path and resaved the scene.

I am using mental ray to render it and all the settings for this are the same. I will attempt exporting the lights and importing them again... though having never done that I'm not entirely sure how to...

Steve - Your final suggestion would be a perfect solution, however I have added other character & lift animation inside the building. Is it possible to export all these and import into the first scene?

Thanks again for helping!

-Kim

Return to posts index

Kim Stewart
on Sep 23, 2011 at 6:31:17 pm

Thanks Steve! Exporting the lights from the first scene, deleting the existing lights from the second scene and importing the lights from the first scene has worked!

Very strange as I never touched the lights after resaving the scene and I double checked all the light settings twice when it wasn't working.

Thanks again! Very happy now!

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Sep 26, 2011 at 7:28:01 pm

Glad it worked, Kim. Not sure what the problem was, but sometimes we have to settle for finding a cure instead of figuring out a diagnosis. :)

-Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]