FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problem with the controlers!

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
arvind jeena
Problem with the controlers!
on Sep 15, 2011 at 8:30:49 am

I am using 'norman' rig for my character animation assignments. But now i m having a problem with the controllers. In its default positions, all three axises are perpendicular to each other. When i m rotating the control along one axis, say 'X', the the other axises are not moving, which results in overlapping of two axises. Which creates problem with further rotation of object. And this problem is with other rigs also. Since, my friends who are using other rigs, are facing similar problem. Can any one help?

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: Problem with the controlers!
on Sep 15, 2011 at 1:52:19 pm

You and your friends are experiencing 'gimbal lock'. Google the term to learn more about it.

There isn't a simple solution, but one thing that should make your workflow easier is to switch your Rotate tool from 'Gimbal' mode to 'World' mode.

-Steve

Return to posts index

arvind jeena
on Sep 18, 2011 at 4:23:56 pm

Hey steve,

Thanks for addressing my problem. I read about Gimbal lock as you mentioned. I also checked some Youtube videos related to Gimbal lock. It was quite a help but not exactly to my problem. Through the video i got to know about Euler rotation and how to filter it. That solved one of my other problems like, unwanted curved path between two keys. Yet the main problem remains, with the controller. And nowhere i found how to fix the overlapped axises. It only tells about how to avoid it, by using world rotation. I checked my rotation tool settings like you told me, and it is in world mode only. The problem with the overlapping axises remains. Is there anyway you can fix that, once it is done?

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Sep 19, 2011 at 2:20:12 pm

That's strange; with the Rotate tool in World mode, the three rotation rings of the tool should always be perpendicular to one another; they should never overlap. Of course, the orientation of the object's axes will be changing, but the tool should still allow you to rotate freely in any direction...

Wish I had something else to suggest, sorry.

-Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]