FORUMS: list search recent posts

animate a saw cutting plywood problem

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ray Foster
animate a saw cutting plywood problem
on Sep 7, 2011 at 8:30:50 am

I'm animating a construction project and trying to find an elegant way of portraying a plywood panel that has been cut along a diagonal line.
I can model two seperate portions and simulate the cutting action but it would be nice if I could draw a line across a single object and have the cut occur on that line resulting in two objects.
Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: animate a saw cutting plywood problem
on Sep 7, 2011 at 2:05:13 pm

I'd animate a Boolean Subtract operation. Use one cube for the plywood, and another thin cube turned sideways for the cutting blade. It should be larger than the actual sawblade; you want it to be large enough to encompass the entire cut when complete.

If you perform a Subtract on those objects with History active, you'll be able to animate the position (or scale) of the invisible 'cutter' object and the appropriate slot will grow along the plywood.

-Steve

Return to posts index

Ray Foster
on Sep 8, 2011 at 12:31:23 am

Great, thanks.

Ray

Return to posts index

Stuart Christensen
on Sep 8, 2011 at 5:47:05 pm

Hello, I ran across the same thing a while ago and for me the easiest way to create the effect was to create a thin plane that represented the cutting line (and seperated the two wood pieces) and I assigned it a red shader and then used a ramp texture to control an opacity fade of the line as the saw blade cut across the wood. It was a simple thing to just add a particle emitter to follow the line as well. Just my two cents worth. Hope that helps.

Return to posts index

Ray Foster
on Sep 8, 2011 at 11:20:40 pm

Two cents well spent, thanks for that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]