FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using MEL scripts

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Igor Harmendani
Using MEL scripts
on Aug 30, 2011 at 6:30:32 pm

Hello!

I'm a Maya beginner and I'm with a little problem here...

I've downloaded a building generator script, I think it's a MEL script, and I can't get it open in Maya!

Yeah, it's really a "beginner issue", I simply can't find how to do it on Google!

So, how can I open this MEL scritps? Is there any way to load them on Maya startup?

Return to posts index

keith mcgregor
Re: Using MEL scripts
on Aug 30, 2011 at 6:52:54 pm

You should be able to put it in your maya scripts folder and "call" it from the mel command line at the bottom of your screen.
-B

Reality? What did you make it?

Return to posts index

Igor Harmendani
on Aug 30, 2011 at 7:39:24 pm

Thanks for the reply, guys.

What do I need to type in the MEL editor? Just the script's name or something else is needed?

And yes, I really need to learn some things about MEL. It looks like a powerful tool in Maya.

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Aug 30, 2011 at 8:18:02 pm

Yes, it's incredibly powerful. You won't regret the time spent learning it.

Start here in the manual:

User Guide > General > MEL and Expressions > Running MEL > Run MEL commands

-Steve

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Aug 30, 2011 at 7:23:57 pm

Depending on the script, you might also be able to run it by highlighting its contents in a text editor, then click-dragging it into one of your viewports.

Also, start looking over the 'MEL and Expressions' section in the manual. You should start learning about that scripts folder Keith mentioned, the Script Editor window, the Expression Editor, and so on.

-Steve

Return to posts index

Shahin Ghahremani
on Aug 31, 2011 at 1:07:27 pm

Hi Igor,
MEL Scripts are different in terms of the way you should execute them. The best way is referring to its instruction text or pdf which is coming with the script, or if you don't have any you may open the mel file with a note pad in your windows and read the head part of it, usually the programmer mentioned the method of running the script in there. Anyway if non of the advises helped, one simple way which might be useful sometimes is, opening the Script Editor and go to File > Load Script and simply browse the mel file in there.
Good luck!

Shahin

--------------------------------------------------------
Please visit my YouTube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Animationstudies

Return to posts index

Igor Harmendani
on Aug 31, 2011 at 4:58:23 pm

I found a kind of .doc file along the script and there's a bunch of code lines in there, I will check it out.

Thank you all for the help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]